Monday, August 05, 2013

A Clear view of the Eiffel Tower


This is a postcard of the Eiffel Tower taken before 1903. It was bought on the 2nd floor of the tower and stamped to prove it. My 22 year old son told me that he thought that the smoke coming out of the chimneys was strange. It wasn’t so long ago that smoke like that was a common site. What I really wanted him to notice was the clarity of the image. Unfortunately my scanner doesn’t do justice, but it gives a good idea as to how in focus the image is.

4 comments:

A Lady's Life said...

What a beautiful post card.
I have never seen anything like it.

Anji said...

A Lady's Life: I couldn't find another like that one so I'm very pleased with it.

Caroline said...

There is a certain irony that the crude photographic systems of the day with cameras made of wood and leather and lenses lacking the sophistication of today's computer designed lenses gave clearer and less distorted images than most people get now...

Anji said...

Caroline: sorry about the delay in replying. It is strange that these pictures were so clear. The worst postcards for lack of focus are from the 60s I think.