Sunday, November 09, 2008

Armistice



"United against the Barbers" and "Sainted Alliance". These two cards were sent during the first world war. I’m guessing, but I think that the soldiers are supposed to represent the US, Belgium and the UK. The young lady, ‘Marianne’ represents the French republic.

Recently I read on the backs of two postcards sent during the first World War…

March 1915
Cher Papa,
….. Everything is starting to grow here which reminds me, you mustn’t try to do everything yourself. Try to wait for my return. All of this will be finishing soon and I’ll be home to help…



…Cousin X came to visit me in my trench, it was good to see him. Between us we managed to account for all of the cousins, everyone is alive and well…

On all of the postcards sent by soldiers the first thing written was 'I'm in good health'. With all of their problems and discomfort their first concern was always to reassure their families.

I’ve also written about the Menin Gate on another blog.

5 comments:

Voegtli said...

From what I read, WWI was really something terrible, in particular those trench fightings. I remember the armistice ceremonies in the early 70ties when I was working in Belgium. There were quite a lot of "poilus" still around. Now it seems, that all are gone. But next tuesday, I will watch the ceremony on TF1.

Anji said...

Peter: The weather in the Somme is not good at the best of times but those men had to stay out there without much shelter too, as well as all the other dangers...

alan said...

Somehow I have to hope he made it home...

alan

Anonymous said...

Our generation will never understand the hardship and bravery endured by those who fought in the 'Great War'

I hope they never have to understand it from personal experience

henry

Anji said...

Alan: we will never know...

Henry: I look at my sons and hope that they never have to go through a war