Monday, March 03, 2008

Helping one another



It’s strange how things tie in together.

I noticed this card from the First World War yesterday and what touched me about it was that two women are helping a German soldier who has probably collapsed. On examining the card with a magnifying glass the soldiers don’t look to be in a good state and aren’t marching very well. They were probably exhausted and even shocked by the mess that the town of Amiens was in because of them.

During the evening, I watched the film ‘The Pianist” on TV which is the story of the Polish pianist; Wladyslaw Szpilman . How he escaped from being sent to the death camps and hid from the Germans during the Second World War. The card and the film both demonstrate for me the compassion of people willing to help one another despite being on ‘different sides’.

5 comments:

Tawnya Shields said...

A wonderful image of the caring spirits within these two women. It is truly remarkable that when times are tough how we the best comes out in many of us to help our fellow man that are in need of help.

Malicious Intent said...

Greetings....
Love photos
Post cards are so kewl...I have a few old ones I found from the 40's in my grandmother's attic years ago...so facinating.
I am also a graphic designer so visiual things are a big turn on for me. (The libra in me!)
Found you from the very lovely Titania and her treasures list, which we both made. Just trying to go around and visit as many as I can tonight to say "Hi"

Anji said...

Titania: I've heard one or two stories from french people who were alive during the war. It's amazing how much was quietly going on that no one ever hears about.

Malicious: Thank you for your visit; I love the cards that pass through my hands, when we buy a new album I get attached to the families who still live through the backs of the cards. I'm libra too! I'm looking forward to exploring the treasures.

Willow said...

Strong film, strong postcard. The ghostly image in the front adds something extra to the card. Some kind of foresight, maybe.

Anji said...

Willow: That image is strange, isn't it? I've never seen it on a card before....