Sunday, June 03, 2007

Saint Catherine



I couldn’t understand why we’d collected so many Saint Catherine cards. They were addressed to girls with lots of different names, but not Catherine!. My favourite English student who is a retired history and geography teacher (history and geography are taught together in France) was able to explain the tradition. There are several St. Catherines on the French calendar, but one in particular in the autumn is the patron Saint of unmarried maidens. This is why lots of young girls used to send cards to each other on the celebrated day. Today, I think it would be hard to find a St Catherine card to send.

This one is a ‘semi modern’ card sent between friends.

3 comments:

Voegtli said...

I think the one you show us did not stay an unmarried maiden for long. She is "si jolie".

Anji said...

Worldman: there were several cards in the same series, she is the prettiest.

Tawnya Shields said...

This is a very beautiful card. Very interesting info. I know absolutely nothing about such things. I love learning about new things.:o)